Who doesn't like pancakes - and getting something free? Find out where you can get a stack on the 'house' today. Plus, learn about tonight's school budget review session, a local rising star and more.
Here's our top headlines for Feb. 28.
- Budget Review: The Malverne Board of Education will be holding its first budget review session tonight at 7 p.m.* in the library. The meeting is open to the public. To see the budget that was proposed earlier this month by the district's superintendent .
- Free Pancakes: It's National Pancake Day and in keeping with tradition, IHOP will be serving up free stacks of Buttermilk griddle cakes. Diners are asked to leave a donation to the Children's Miracle Network Hospitals. So head over to your nearest International House of Pancakes on to get yours.
- Young Star: Meet 12-year-old Dennise Gregory, of Lakeview, one of the stars of the critically-acclaimed short film, "Say Grace Before Drowning." Look for the story later today.
- Open Office Hours: Have a question or concern about the West Hempstead school district? Bring it directly to the chief today as Superintendent John Hogan holds open office hours from 3 p.m. to 4:45 p.m. at the . This gives parents and all residents a chance to chat one-on-one with him.
- Money for Fire Departments: Sen. Charles Schumer has secured money to help fire departments throughout Nassau County meet the requirements of a mandate that will soon take effect. Learn more this afternoon.
*An earlier version of this story indicated the start time was 8 p.m. in accordance with the Malverne school district Web site, but a representative for the district says the meeting is at 7 p.m.